Friday, June 03, 2005

Flying out to Atlanta.

Getting on a plane is an odd experience. You march down the small runway and hand your fate over to a few people you have never met, and a lot of steel and wires and nuts and bolts. Once you sit in your seat and strap yourself in, that’s it. You are there for the duration. There is no start over bright red button you can press to go back to start.

On this flight I was on an exit row. Though I have flown several times in the past, I’ve never been seated in a seat of such importance. As I was walking down the small tunnel I reflected on the importance of my seat. How many before me had been asked to step up and take the role of exit row seated? How many of those had failed in their duties? Would I have the tenacity to do what I had to in the event of a catastrophe?

The nice stewardess with the upturned collar politely asked me if I could perform all the duties such a seat entailed. At least I think she did, I was a bit slow getting my ipod ear buds out. What if I missed some vital instruction? What if the secret to being a truly great exit row seat-holder was revealed, but I was listening so intensely to Gorillaz that I missed it?

Luckily, not only for me but the rest of the passengers, we never had to find out if I had the strength to perform my role. There was no disaster, the flight landed without even a delay.

So I have one more test under my belt. I have been an exit row passenger, and stood before the plane full of people and proudly declared that I would fulfill my duties of door opener.

-alex.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cody C. said...

i think you should update. just one opinion.

i found the KC Deadman figure the other day for $5. i picked it up, and after putting it on my shelf, i was struck by how cool it is. I didn't expect it to be that cool. But it definitly ranks up there with GL, Flash, WW, Batman, etc.

However, if i were to have a girl over, and were we to roll around on my bed, and she were to look up and see Deadman, all deady and creepy, stare back at her.

Well, that would be the end of that date, i'm quite sure. Because unless she's a diehard KC fan (and though i would like to date a hardcore KC fan, i doubt they exist in female form), then there's no way of trying to save the moment. Or explaining why i have a Deadman action figure watching over me.

But until the day i have a date, he's staying right there. Which means he may be there... til Kingdom Come! HAHA!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Yeah. I nearly drew a strip about my fundamentals of Art class, but its been a week of zero energy.

I'll try to get something put up soon, I need to get the art done for my stick figure thing. It's due at the end of the month.

-alex.

3:19 PM  
Blogger care said...

one time, when I was on a flight from dallas to cali (or on the way back, I can't remember) there were two kids, likely five and seven years old, with their mom and baby and some old person in the exit row. It was one of those two-five-two planes.

and halfway through the flight the flight attendant realized this and made us move to those seats instead.

do you know any five year olds who can lift forty pounds? I don't.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home